2021 marks the 100th birthday of Shore Haven Lutheran Church. Began as ‘mission stop 133’ on May 29, 1921, Christians from St. John Lutheran Church in nearby Collinwood, began to extend the Good News of Jesus Christ to the area of Euclid Village.
Under the guidance of Rev. Martin Ilse, Sr, a Sunday School began in family homes. Working with Euclid Schools, worship services began at Shore School in Euclid.
Pastor Ilse (shared pastor with St. John, Collinwood) and Rev. Albert J. Weber (shared pastor with Trinity, Willoughby) served to grow the congregation in the early days. In 1926, a small chapel was contructed at 324 E 222nd St in Euclid.
On Feb 24, 1929, Rev. Edwin C. Abendroth began to serve as Shore Haven’s full-time pastor. In June of that year, Shore Haven Lutheran Church joined the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Pastor Abendroth faithfully served until the congregation until his retirement in 1973.
Over the century, Shore Haven has been lovingly cared for by her pastors:
1973-1984 Rev. Gerald E. Kohn
1979-1992 Rev. Christian F. Just
1987-2015 Rev. Dennis R. Juengel
2017-present Rev. Steven M. Hackmann
The forward statement from the 1950 dedication of the current sanctuary sums up the vision of our congregation:
“With the assistance of the Holy Spirit, we now also rededicate ourselves in love, loyalty, and faithful service to God and His church. We pray that our relation to Hiim may be an inspiration to others to come and share with us the joys and blessings of worshiping and working for Jesus, Who died that we might live.”